2018-03-07

Bread-cake steam experiment1

Alternative brown bread-cake.
 Very low / nearly gluten-free.

Steam bread/cake.

(ℹIt is known that average commercially produced white bread made with white flour is bad for even wild games in ponds. White sugar is also notorious. Hence, I'm exploring, experimenting & sharing different flours & methods.)

Winter. 

ℹIngredients:

💦Warm water.
 53 to 65% of the amount of flour, please adjust.
🔴100g rye flour low gluten; organic (Bacheldre Watermill).
🔴100g gluten-free brown bread flour
(Dover Flour Mills)
🔴20g (high protein) gluten-free coconut  flour organic
 (Tiana)
🔵30g  demerara sugar or better. 
💥30g  yeast.

No additives. 
Minimum pesticides & herbicides. 
No artificial colouring.
No artifical flavour. 

A little bit of good oil for surface and barrier.

Methods:

1, in a bowl, add sugar & yeast into warm water.
2, add flour.
3, mix, knead.
4, cover & wait. 
5, knead, fold, form/shape and optional variations of colours & ingrediets 
6, oil on surface, wait.
7, steam with steamer. 
(due to my use of glass, I steam a little longer about 25 minutes. Could be less without the secondary containers.)

-- Many options:
● oriental bamboo steamer over saucepan or pot of water;
● Stainless steel steamer with water.
● other bread machines but result will be different.

-- Options for minimising sticking to the steamer: 
☆ oriental paper for steaming
☆ in oiled containers.
☆ paper cups for cup-cakes.
☆ other methods.
  
Serve while hot.

Result & reflections of this experiment:

Like a fusion or a cross between Western bread, cake, Oriental steam cake.

Steaming method was supposed to be healthier.

Due to Winter temperature & low protein low gluten flour, I put in more yeast. Longer time, too.
From start to putting inside steamer I allowed 1 hour.

Flour...
 it is better to minimise wheat and gluten. 

I saw original recipes mostly use  flour with mid-range level of protein. I added a little high protein flour to the low protein ones.

Flavour? 
Plain. 
Next time I can add different things like cocoa powder, green tea powder, almond powder, mixed grains, vanilla, chopped nuts, etc

Presentation:

Reasonably soft and moist.

Ok - if it is just for oneself. 
For better presentation, 
better consider buying :

 special paper for steaming at the bottom of the bread/ steam,
 or,  
 cup-cake paper cups,
 or baking paper.

Personally I checked the materials of most baking paper , and or parchment paper, have synthetic resin. Not keen on them. I try to avoid all moulds and utentils with artificial resins, plastic, pvc, etc. 
(avoid endocrine disruprive chemicals)

I did not knead much.
It is Winter❄- I tried to keep my hands clean & dry.
I did fold & roll a few times.

The part that raised above the glass containers is good and better than inside the glass containers.  Next time I will use other methods.
The answers I needed obtained.


No comments:

Post a Comment

( feedback welcomed )